Thursday, July 14, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent



Since posting about making it, I have had A LOT of request for the recipe. I wish I could tell you that it is from my own making but it most definitely is not. I snagged it off the Duggars website (the people with 19 kids and counting). The recipe I got made 10 gallons, which is way more than I need right now or want to store. So here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
-2 cups of hot tap water
-1/2 bar of soap *see below for more about what kind of soap
-1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (Do not use baking soda!)
-1/4 cup of Borax

*The recipe calls for the soap to be Fels-Naptha which you can find in the laundry aisle. You can also use Ivory soap, which is what I use. It is not as strong of a smell as the Fels-Naptha. Also, the Washing Soda and the Borax can be found in the laundry aisle. A box of each is like $3 and will last a really long time. The 2 boxes will end up helping you make a ridiculous amount of laundry detergent.

Directions:
- Grate the bar of soap and add to a saucepan with the 2 cups of hot tap water. Stir over medium-low heat until the soap dissolves.
-Fill a bucket up with 1 and 1/4 gallons of hot tap water. Add the melted soap, 1/2 cup of washing soda, and 1/4 cup of Borax. Stir well until everything is dissolved. Fill the bucket up with 1 and 1/4 gallons of water. Cover and let it sit overnight.

-Whatever container you use, fill it half full with your homemade detergent and will the rest up with water.

Don't fret if your laundry doesn't smell like anything. It's not suppose to. This is gentle enough for sensitive skin.


There you go. Super easy. I used old detergent, fabric softener,and juice containers. This made 5 gallons for me! Use 1/4 cup with each load of laundry.

2 comments:

Millie said...

I love your blog thanks girlie

Lisa said...

You are so thrifty! I might copy you.
Also I loved your comment on my last post. I miss you.