Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Day 0

Today Derek got his stem cells back. It is quite a process. His stem cells were frozen in multiple bags so today he got 6 bags of stem cells back. There was one person who would unfreeze the bags, another who would check the numbers and make sure Derek was getting his cells back, one nurse who was hooking up the bags to his iv, and another person logging everything. Once the cells are unfrozen the cells need to make it into Derek within a few minutes otherwise the cells may be damaged. With a couple of the bags the line would get clogged and they had to hurry and get them back into Derek. With the cells come a cream of corn smell. They said Derek's breath and urine would smell like cream of corn but his entire body smells like it to me. My whole house smells like it really strongly. While getting the cells they are still cold so they can give you a cough and they did give Derek a bad cough and started throwing up. He was too weak to hold his own barf bucket so I had to hold it for him. I told him that's love when someone holds your barf bucket for you! He was in a lot of pain. I have never seen Derek look so sick, its definitely hard. I can't imagine what he is going through. I have to take his temperature multiple times a day to make sure he isn't getting an infection, I have to monitor his medication, and force him to eat and drink. He is too sick to do much on his own. His special diet has started. We appreciate everyone's love and support but we now have to limit our visitors. If you are healthy enough and you do come over you will be asked to wash your hands as soon as you come in. From this point he is only going to get sicker before he gets better.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Cream of corn? So weird.
I'm keeping you guys in my prayers!! I'm glad you've started updating about Derek, it's good to know. Please let me know if there is anything I can ever do for you guys!! Take care of Cam Cam, make food, run errands, clean, whatever. :] I love you!!

Chase and Shalyse Rogers said...

I'm so glad you started doing this blog! Me and Chase are always thinking of you guys and wondering how you are doing, but we hate to disturb you guys cause I know how crazy life is with a new born. And you have TWO boys to take care of. Let us know if you need anything. You guys are in our prayers.

PS. it's seriously so true about the barf bucket. he he. :)

Zonnie said...

Hang in there Derek. Sound's like you got quite a lady by your side. We are praying for you and hope for the best.
TONS OF LOVE SENT YOUR WAY!!!!
Love,
Zonnie, Blair and Sascha

Ashley said...

Thank you for letting me know about your blog. Curtis and I have really been pondering on what we can do for you guys. I really hope everything goes good with Derek's treatments. Take care and please please let me know if you guys need anything (anything at all). We'll be praying for you guys!