Sunday, September 20, 2009

Day +5

Today Derek has an appointment at the hospital. Its kind of weird to have an appointment on a Sunday but when your a transplant patient regular business days and hours do not apply. He just got his labs drawn which showed his red blood cell count and white blood cell count have dropped a lot but they are only going to drop more. He was in his regular playful self mood which is great and a welcome change to the super sick Derek. While we were at the hospital I noticed that in one of the rooms a few members of a family were coming out crying while a few more members of a family went in. I got a glimpse of the inside of the room. The patient was hooked up to a lot of different bags of liquids making their way to the patient. I thought maybe the family was scared seeing their loved one hooked up like that. What got me is that I recognized that kind of suffering. The kind of suffering where you have to watch the one you love suffer, which is not a pleasant or easy thing. Later I heard the doctor explain what was happening to the patient. All of his organs were failing. It has become an all too real reality the chance of losing Derek and though this transplant has brought us hope, it has also brought us fear. That family will lose their loved one but hopefully I will not have to lose mine. It has become more apparent as the days go on that Camden and I are not the only ones who need Derek to get better. We are not the only ones who are relying on him and his strength. And perhaps you may think it bitter of me to say, but I hope God remembers that.

No comments: